Thursday, August 30, 2012

Meeting School and Friends

WHOO! FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!! (No sarcasm there) I had to arrive at school quite late at 2:00 because it's the orientation day and not actual classes.

But before that I must tell you something that completely shocked me. So in my room there's a window with curtains covering it, save for a small slit that remains open because my curtains won't close all the way. It's very tiny and hard to see out of. But because I can't fully cover the window, I sneak into a small, hidden corner that is out of sight from the opening in the curtains when changing clothes. This morning I was thinking to myself that, 'Oh no one can actually see me through the window so maybe I don't have to change in such a tight area.' Even though my thoughts went along these lines, I still changed in the small space of difficult-ness. Once dressed, for grins and giggles, I looked outside the small slit to see if anyone could actually see me. When I did, I nearly fell down from how hard I was laughing. There I was expecting to see nothing because the apartment next to mine, at the level my room is on, is just a roof.  Instead I did indeed see a person. Two actually. Both were teenage boys. Shirtless teenage boys... I was noooooot expecting that at all. Now I know, stay in my safety corner. (Know that the guys had pants on, just not shirts. So no scarring image of horrific-ness)

I believe a quick view of lunch is in order. My mother and I went to "Taipei Milk King." This restaurant specializes in, as you guessed it, a type of drink. The most famous one in Taipei is papaya juice so that's what we ordered. It wasn't quite a liquid but rather a slushie type consistency. Sweet, fruity but not overwhelming, the drink was very enjoyable. The main meal was rice, a type of leaf, seaweed, egg and beef. The seaweed is quite commonly tied in a bow shape/knot which surprised me. Then again, I've never really eaten seaweed. :P



Right afterwards, we took the metro to my school. We arrived about 1:30 at the office. Nice and early right? It will give a good impression of me as an exchange student, correct? Nooooooot really. According to my mother, being really early is not a good habit to have in Taiwanese culture. Whoops. :P Anyway, the school officials directed us to the conference room where we did some paperwork. Four other exchange students came in later and the last student was on a trip with her family so she wasn't there today. So just paperwork and uniform measurements. Oh! With the sizing I'm confused greatly. A man took the three girls' measurements before me by measuring the height from the floor to the hip, the waist and the bust. Normal right? I was up next and the man measured my leg, hip...then my leg and hip a second time. That's totally fine because he probably was double checking the numbers. The male exchange student was last and the man measured his leg, waist and bust. Do see the difference? Do you see it? All the other girls were measured for their bust. Even the GUY had his bust  measured. Andrea did not get her bust measured. ...Should I be insulted? Does the guy have a bigger bust than me? XD Haha I'm just kidding. I only hope the uniform fits fine which I'm sure it will. I'll get all that good stuff Monday.

Next we five exchange students were taken to the orientation. I was actually surprised we didn't get to sit through the entire ceremony, but then again I wouldn't have understood what the speaker would talk about if we did. XD I didn't take pictures because I was afraid it wasn't allowed or it would be considered rude. So I'll try my best to explain the environment. Imagine a two-floored school gym but instead of sports equipment, there is a stage. The second floor is filled with uniformed students while the first floor has hundreds of non-uniformed students sitting in chairs facing the stage. In front of all these students is a single row of chairs that are totally empty. We were told to sit in these chairs. That means sitting in front of all these hundreds of students as if V.I.P.s. I could feel so many eyes at the back of my neck. XD During this a powerpoint was on the screen of beautiful landscapes and chinese characters written across the slide. I only understood a few characters and didn't have any idea what the main message was. Nonetheless the powerpoint was quite interesting to watch. After it finished, a man spoke a message on a microphone. All of a sudden we hear "exchange students." Looking around unsure, we confirmed that we had to go on stage. Walking up the stairs, one would expect a small applause from the crowd. No. No no no no no! We didn't get an applause. We got a riot! These five foreigners got such a warm welcome from the crowd with hoots, hollers, energetic clapping and whatnot else. We were totally floored by this reaction. It was so sweet of them! The speaker then introduced each of us by our Chinese names and shook our hands. I was told we had to give a small introduction in Chinese which I prepared but in the end we didn't. The exchange student from Germany had her name and classroom called out but was totally shocked as several boys in the front where cheering their lungs out. It turns out that they were her fellow classmates. She shall be well received in her class, that's for sure. :) After the introductions, we left the stage and room to do some other stuff. Then we were released and I ventured my first time taking the Metro completely by myself. It all turned out fine ;) But I did make my first purchase in Taiwan! It was towards an umbrella because the sky was leaking.

Developing three lovely, fresh blisters (ow to the 10th power!) and a walk in the rain, I desperately changed outfits and shoes (especially shoes) before going out again to have dinner with my mother's friend. Little did I know that there would be more people coming. Not one but two teachers and four Taiwanese students. I should've dressed nicer than a T-shirt...darn it! Anyway I spent the night mostly talking to the students both during and after dinner. This is what I have to say...OMG THESE PEOPLE ARE SO FRIENDLY!!! They are welcoming, deep and overall wonderful. I had such a fantastic time learning about them and telling them about America and myself. We spoke in English (because I can't learn Mandarin in only a week but I still insert words I know when I can :P) and had many a laugh when the language became a slight barrier. For example, explaining what a rodeo is and saying how we can "raise" animals. They heard "race" and thought we raced bunnies, chickens and cows at rodeos. XD But language barrier wasn't a problem at all because their English was really good and understandable. I know this may seem stupid but I just have to say it. One boy had awesome hair that was shaved on the sides and grew out somewhat long on the top to come behind in a ponytail about halfway down his head. His hair band broke and he was left with a dilemma of how to tie his hair back. That's when I shot in and offered my hair band which he gladly accepted. Because it's such a silly matter, I didn't tell him it was an authentic hair band from America given to him by an American. XD Stupid right? It just makes me smile that I snuck in America to a Taiwanese person through a good deed. He should cherish it because I've had that hair tie for half a year :P Haha, just kidding. He could throw it away if he wants. XD

But the night all boils down to how wonderful people here are and tonight being my first time speaking to Taiwanese teens my age. Though I don't think I'm considered a teen anymore XD All the students tonight were 18 so either way we were all the same age. :P I hope to meet them again before they go off to their universities to hang out and also to give them their gift from America. No, not hair bands but I didn't bring any gifts because my purse I had was so small that it didn't fit anything extra other than things like wallet, retainer container, phone, etc. Lesson learned, bring a bigger purse on outings. XD

Oh? What did I have for dinner you ask? (Because I know you're so fascinated in what I eat :P) Twas salad with honey mustard drizzled on top, vegetables in pesto sauce and kiwi juice.
 Let's finish with a wonderful photo of these mentioned people of never ending pleasantness. Te gusta? You should. If I can spend a year with such an exciting school and wonderful friends, this will be phenomenal!

No comments:

Post a Comment