Saturday, November 3, 2012

Asian Tomato Soup and Asian Oreos!

Monday October 29th, 2012

Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh. I’m on a sugar high. My leg won’t stop bouncing. Oh dear! I need to burn all this energy off! Uhhhhhh, uhhhh, uhhhhh…RANDOM DANCING GO!

*ten minutes later*

Meh, better but my leg is still bouncing and now I’m hot. There’s only one thing to do when you are hot! *dramatically whips out a fan* Goodness gracious I LOVE THESE THINGS! :D Where can I learn how to make these wonderful creations?!!

Whoops. Sorry for getting sidetracked but I’m seriously on a sugar high. My body is full of energy yet my mind is slowly shutting down. Not the best combination. XD Perhaps I should just start talking about today’s events before I get really drowsy. ;P

University class was pretty normal for the exception of some Halloween candy Mika brought. The candy was

Oh no, my fingers are tapping the keyboard up a storm as if typing but my mind is drawing blanks. What’s that term when you feel tired after a spurt of energy from sugar/caffeine? Withdrawal? Aftereffect? Sugar hangover? XD

Ok Andrea, focus. Foooooocus. You can do it chica!

The sweets that Mika shared were hard, sour candy ranging flavors from sour apple to lemon to grape. At first when I was offered a sour apple flavor there were anxious yet devilish grins on Mika’s and Brittany’s faces as they had apparently already tried a piece. Intrigued with curiosity to as how sour this candy could be, I popped one into my mouth and my audience’s eyes grew wide with anticipation. Several seconds passed and the flavor was still being analyzed by my taste buds. A bit more time passed and I came to enjoy the slightly sour taste that the candy had. But then BAM! Even though it didn’t taste all that sour my jaws began to contract and hurt. I was then found needing to massage my tense jaw muscles in order for them to relax. This feeling of pain only lasted about ten seconds until the candy went really sweet as the sour taste was gone and its wickedness finished.

Enjoying the experience and taste, I announced that I quite liked the candy. Not satisfied with my fairly subdued reaction to the sour apple flavor, my friends bestowed the challenge of having a lemon flavor. Did I accept? Duh! Was the lemon fifty times more sour? Ye……no. Not even close. My jaws didn’t tense even the slightest and I found the lemon having a lot less punch and more sweetness. Strange huh?

So let’s keep a sugar tracking record. At University I had two small pieces of sour candy and one small sweet piece. Moving on…

For lunch some friends and I had a hankering to try somewhere new yet local to the University. The place we went to was very small with a limited food selection. It was a gamble but we were feeling adventurous.


Today’s lunch crew! Everyone should look familiar here but just in case... From left to right we have Erin from Canada, Will from The Netherlands, Akiko from Texas and Mika from Japan. I feel I don’t need to announce who the person is in the BRIGHT ORANGE shirt. ;P


Speaking of BRIGHT ORANGE, look at those awesome chopsticks! LOVE! According to Will, orange is super popular in the Netherlands currently because of their queen. It’s something like their family name having the Dutch word for ‘orange’ included in it. Therefore we needed a picture with Will and the chopsticks of beautifulness! I’ve never been to The Netherlands but I like it already! Come on, just think about it. Not only is my husband from there but their mock national color is orange! Sold! XD


The dish I ordered at this shop was what I like to refer to as an Asian tomato soup. Inside the bowl was, tomato obviously, green leaves, chicken and noodles. It was pretty good, the broth being very satisfying as it graced my throat.

Afterwards our group decided to go by a nearby café for some coffee. Because I usually rush off to school immediately after lunch in order to access Wi-Fi at my high school, I decided to forfeit it today and spend some more time with my fellow exchange students. So I tagged along and ordered what I think was an iced chocolate latte. But I forgot one important thing…lately I’ve had the bad luck of my order always taking a long time. Seriously for the past four or five times I’ve eaten food out, I was ALWAYS the last one to get my individual order. That actually happened today with the Asian tomato soup! I was the last one again! Now of course there’s nothing wrong with that but when it was like yesterday’s waffles-of-taking-forever-to-come, it gets really annoying.

Thankfully beverages seem to be excluded from my late food delivery misfortune but I nonetheless had a short amount of time to drink the coffee before needing to leave for the MTR. It ended in my chugging half a glass of coffee quickly. I am very thankful I had food in my stomach because if I didn’t, I might have fallen over from a terrible stomachache. Nonetheless I still got a slight stomachache, as I’m not used to drinking coffee like that.

The recorded updated: three small pieces of candy and a guzzled glass of coffee.

Since it is Monday, the exchange students normally would have ‘Spanish class.’ But instead Redy had scheduled a little picnic between all of us. We each had to bring some sort of food for the two-hour picnic. The most convenient and easily shared type of food was sweets. Oh great, more sugar for Andrea. This was the main cause for my sugar high.

The food I brought was as American as I can get in Taiwan. OREOS! Oreos are American, right? Are they? I think so… Someone tell me please because I don’t know. Even if they aren’t, they are at least popular in America. There, I dodged that bullet. XD Where I went to purchase them, the store had several flavors. Still feeling adventurous, I grabbed the most foreign looking one. On the package it boasted the label of “Ice Cream” but the cream between the cookies was purple. I couldn’t tell what that meant. At first I thought it was taro flavor since it is a popular flavor in Taiwan. But later I found out from Redy that it was blueberry ice cream flavor. WHAT?! I don’t even know what blueberry ice cream tastes like, much less a blueberry ice cream Oreo! It goes without saying that I was thoroughly intrigued. ;D

The taste test went like this. It began with having a strong, zesty flavor then gradually started to remind me of a sweet medicine. That particular type of Oreo is good but nothing to drool over. No matter how many flavors of Oreo the company spits out, you can never beat the traditional Oreo and milk combination. ;)


Our picnic site! See all that in the middle? Alllllll of it were sweets. Add that onto my sugar tracking record. XD Everyone was pretty tired, especially poor Camille (the blonde chica). The picnic was a very lovely time, taking a break with a nice chat and sugar. It very well might happen several more times! ;D


The view from our perch! This is more the University part of the campus rather than the high school section. At least I think so. XD It’s a quaint little garden with a pretty little pond. The building surrounding it is a super popular place where people come for wedding photos. Everyday you can see brides-to-be in their exquisite dresses with their tuxedoed up loves in a photo shoot around this building.

Following the picnic, it was time for the weekly culture exchange! On the schedule I received regarding the different subjects for each week, I was to have a discussion over ‘food and restaurant’ today. But since Erik was one week behind on his assigned topic schedule and no longer in Taiwan, I was to take up his group this week. Their subject was ‘photography.’ I’ll admit I wasn’t too heave-ho on this topic because I don’t know much about photography. I just take pictures for memories. Plus I can’t really think of cultural differences in that area other than people using lots of cutesy hand signs near their face in Taiwan for pictures.

To my surprise, my homeroom teacher told me today that the topic would change from ‘photography’ to ‘education.’ WOAH! The discussion immediately went from having barely anything to say to having LOADS AND LOADS to converse about! I could go on forever with differences between Taiwan and American school! Eventually I would like to create a picture PowerPoint over that subject but it’s going to take a heck of a lot of time plus I would need pictures of various parts of Klein Collins for comparison. Is anyone reading this still enrolled at KC? Are you interested in assisting me? ;D

Anyhow, I was thrilled for the topic of education but one thing was a little frightening. Since it was such short notice, I didn’t have any time to prepare some related vocabulary to help with the language difference. OH DEAR! How in the world could I express all the vast differences between Taiwan and America? I felt a session filled with charades and constantly retreating to my dictionary for help.

Upon arriving those worries were immediately banished as one of my group members spoke excellent English. So I went from feeling kinda stressed to downright enjoying the conversation! Of course I spoke as much Chinese as possible (little as it was) and switched to English for more complicated aspects of the discussion. Only once did I have to look up a word in the dictionary, ‘ceremony’ if you’re interested. ;P In Chinese: “dian li” 典裡 At least I think that’s how the characters are written. The second one I guessed on because it’s difficult matching a simplified character dictionary to a traditional Chinese keyboard setting. XD

Overall, the cultural exchange was invigorating! I could’ve gone another hour or two with talking about educational differences! And my members were so nice! Before starting our discussion, one of my members with the English name of Joe asked me what I wanted to drink. Being utterly stuffed from lunch, coffee and the picnic, I politely declined his kind offer. When all my members came back, they brought a pink bottle of water with them. Oh it was so sweet! Then towards the end of the talk, they offered a sweet that can be described as a small roll with a tad bit of chocolate thinly lining the swirls (think like a non-glazed cinnamon roll). Not wanting to seem rude and truly appreciating their kindness, I just had to take one. That treat was the topper to my sugar high. Now do you realize why my leg is uncontrollably bouncing? XD It has died down but still is slightly bouncing. Don’t worry, I’ll work on that issue with some more dancing in a bit. ;D BURN OFF THE ENERGY AND CALORIES! >:D

Andrea stop getting distracted! But yes, all four of my members were really sweet and I enjoyed their company. Finishing our talk, I was invited to go ice-skating with them. OH MY GOODNESS YES 要! (I want!) Asking when we would, they replied “today.” Oh snap. A little short notice for me, as I need to gain my host parent’s permission beforehand. So hopefully we can schedule an ice-skating outing later with a bit more warning. XD


And here are my delightful members! The guy to the left of me was Joe and the translator of the group. Alex is the one in the white shirt. The other two dudes don’t have an English name so don’t ask me to type their Chinese name because I don’t know how. :P The boy to far right is actually in my martial arts club. And to the far left is a guy that is a speaker of some sort. Several times ago he would read poetry in front of the class as practice for a competition he had, at least, that’s what I was told.

Something cute that Alex did was quietly whispering something to Joe as if wanting him to translate into English. Desiring to give my Chinese a shot at trying to understand what he wanted to say, I inquired “什麼?什麼?” Some little smiles and laughs were exchanged between Alex and Joe, which fueled my curiosity. Then Alex started to form a slight blush as Joe revealed their secretive chatter. He announced that Alex “is interested you. Do you have a boyfriend?” Chuckling as I guessed that was headed my way from the way they secretly hid their one-to-one and the fact that I’m always asked that in Taiwan (from either gender), I simply replied “我沒有” (I don’t have/mei2 you3). FYI, that’s the correct Chinese grammar. You don’t need to say ‘I don’t have ONE’ but rather just ‘I don’t have.’ There, that’s your Chinese for the day. ;D The reaction from my answer was more grins and chuckles with Joe declaring in Chinese “good luck” to Alex. Pfft, it was adorable. XD

Ah I just took a break for dinner and I feel better now that regular food is starting to balance out all that sugar. But now I’m sooooooo full! An extensive dancing and exercise session is in order to burn off today’s food. ;P

Oh! Here’s a little tid bit/teaser of tomorrow. During my group’s presentation over ‘education’ we have a special guest. It’s the whopping principal! OH SNAP! Naw, I’m not that nervous but I still hope I can do him proud. At least I have a good topic to discuss but I just hope he doesn’t expect too much Chinese out of me. I’ve never met him before so I don’t know anything about him or if he has standards for the exchange students. Regardless I’ll do my absolute best! :D

“HERE WE GO! PUT YOUR GUNS ON! ALRIGHT! LET’S HAVE A RIP-ROARING PARTY!” I’m sorry, I just have to exclaim that quote. *winks at SB fans* ;P But I really think tomorrow’s presentation will be fun since it’s such a great topic. Let’s just hope my Chinese measures up. ;)

This very sweet, sugar-high Taffy is finished! Thanks for joining me in my jittery state! See you next time! Bye-bye! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment