Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fruit = Vegetables + Meat + Egg?

Friday October 19, 2012

YES! The 7-Eleven by my house has the mandarin orange yogurt of yumminess! :D Needless to say, I bought one this morning. When you purchase a type of food at 7-Eleven, they always provide you with a spoon, fork, skewer or whatever else is needed for that particular food. So of course when buying some yogurt, they give you a spoon. But noooooooot today. The man at the counter seemed to have forgotten and I was too busy hectically fiddling with my bag, trying to get out of the way to notice the lack of a spoon. At Tatung, I know not of any available spoons in the cafeteria. So what did I use for eating the yogurt? A straw…and chopsticks. XD

AHAHAHAHA! I looked like an idiot! The straw was obviously for sipping up the liquid but the chopsticks were needed to clumsily pick up the pieces of fruit and jelly. Note to self, never EVER forget to check for a spoon upon purchasing yogurt! It was a fun experience and had a good laugh but it’s not something I plan on performing again. I rather enjoy my yogurt, not wrestle with it. XD

The drink menu I’ve been studying of one of Tatung’s teahouses had one other fruit milk I hadn’t tasted, one that had a recommended/popular mark on it. It was papaya milk! Properly remembering how to order my desired beverage, the gentleman recognized my request with no problems. BOOYA!!! Upon receiving the finished product, I cocked my head to the side. All three apple, banana and papaya milk drinks cost the exact same amount of money. Yet the papaya milk was 25%-50% smaller in cup size. Uh…what? I guess papaya costs more than the other two fruits, therefore the need to use less fruit. But…but…but, but, butbutbutbut!!! T-T I have tears!

Regardless, the papaya milk was tasty. It kinda reminded me of the apple milk actually. I enjoyed trying the papaya milk, but I think I’ll stick with the banana or apple milk so I can get more value. Yes, I like value. At this point I’m labeling myself as having an intense hobby of finding the greatest possible value in everything. It’s just too much fun! :D

PROGRESS HAS OCCURED! My seat buddy dropped his book below our desks. Of course, I bent down and helped pick up some of the fallen papers. Guess what?! He said “xie xie” (thank you). HIS FIRST WORDS TO ME! I AM SUCCESSFULLY INVADING HIS MIND AND SPEECH! >:D There’s no way you can sit next to an exchange student like me and not expect to make any conversation. ;P No, this doesn’t mean I’m going to force him to be my best bud! It just means I’m pouring American friendliness on him. ;)

Lunch time story! Wanting to try a different food, the night before I looked at a picture of Tatung’s breakfast shop’s menu I took. It does include the English translation of each food but the Chinese characters are super difficult for me to read? Why? Because I have a main land Chinese dictionary with simplified characters. Taiwan is obviously not main land China and they use traditional characters. BUT IT’S SO HARD TO FIND A DICTIONARY OF TAIWAN CHINESE WITH TRADITIONAL CHARACTERS! It’s hard/nearly impossible in America and Taiwan hasn’t been a walk in the park either (reference to last Sunday’s visit to the bookstore).

Anywho, one item on the menu caught my eye with “fruit and vegetable sandwich.” Never tasting or even hearing about a sandwich both mixing fruit and vegetables (and sounding healthy!) I decided on ordering that the next day. On the menu I could at least read “fruit” and “vegetable.” But the last two characters were totally unknown being extremely hard to distinguish in small font and not even remotely found in my dictionary. But if staying true to its English translation, I could at least say the three character word “san ming zi” (sandwich). So that was my thought, planning process the night before.

The day of, I went up and said the direct translation in Chinese of “fruit and vegetable sandwich.” But of course, something went wrong. XD An employee had to do acrobatics over the counter to see the food I pointed to on the menu. I really have no idea what he was telling me but whatever it was, it ended up getting me a lunch order or some sort. And that’s what counts. ;)

But what was the food that came out? It was a sandwich all right…with vegetables…egg…meat…sauce…noooooooooo fruit in sight. What the heck happened?! XD It basically was two of the triangular breakfast sandwiches but a higher quality than the ones I’ve seen before. It was totally delicious!!! But…what ever happened to the fruit and vegetable sandwich? XD Here’s my confusion in more detail:

BBQ pork, Egg and Toast                              28
Fruit and Vegetable Sandwich                       43

This was what part of the menu looked like. I wanted the bottom one obviously but the sandwich I got seemed more like the top one. So maybe the employee thought I pointed to the top one even though I said 66% of the bottom one in Chinese. Yet I was charged 43NT. But it would seem 28NT would only get me one triangle sandwich, not two. So…? I’M CONFUSED!

Oh who cares! IT WAS SO YUMMY! I laugh because my classmate asked me once again why I get the same sandwich every time. But…this is a totally different food. It’s two triangle toast sandwiches not a single burger. XD I still absolutely love going to the B1 (meaning underground floor) breakfast shop. Both in the morning and at lunch I went to the shop. Yes, in the morning I ordered that egg, corn pancake I forgot to mention in the picture. Sorry! XD But each and every time I go by, I get a friendly greeting by at least one employee, maybe two if they are both present. One gentleman makes me smile because he always wears this leopard print apron. It’s funny yet kinda cute. XD

Something amazing happened today. Our military education structure actually was smiling! WHAT?!! WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?! We had a surprise period with him today inside the classroom and he showed us some sort of a PowerPoint. There were military pictures and a video of a lion tearing up a cheetah. Not sure why that video was included…not exactly pleasant. But I couldn’t tell if it was a military recruitment presentation or what. I did recognize the words “America” and “Obama” within close proximity of each other once, which made me listen extremely carefully but to no comprehendible avail. And then a random picture of the One Ring from "The Lord of the Rings" made an appearance. WHAT?! I really wish I knew what the heck the man was talking about.

That’s the basic summary of today. Hope you enjoyed my Taffy! I bid you fond farewell! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment