Thursday, October 11, 2012

MARRIAGE ALREADY?!!

Thursday October 11, 2012

If you recall from yesterday (make sure to read that Taffy before this one) I mentioned that it was “one of the best days of Taiwan so far!” Scratch that statement. It is now updated to “the best two days in a row of Taiwan so far!” Wo hen kuai le! (I am very happy!) I’ve had the most pleasurable and most educational time these past two days! It is surely a blessing that I was able to enjoy such wonderful experiences within the forty-eight hour period. Shall we begin telling the story of today? I’m excited and ready! :D

ZAO CAN! (BREAKFAST!) When I first woke up, all I found on the table was a “Fresh Delight” milk box. Not exactly a balanced meal. XD Thankfully, my host father heated up a traditional Chinese bread with a variation of some butter on the inside. I was even provided a little bag to bring the bread outside of the house with. Along with that he set out a “I <3 MILK” box. I’m not sure if that was a mistake or not but I thoroughly appreciated the opportunity to get twice the calcium intake as usual. Deciding just to eat all of it at University, I stopped by 7-Eleven for a yummy banana. It was all “hao chi”! (delicious)

Even though I was running on only 5.5 hours of sleep, an average amount for me, I was quite energetic and peppy. That’s thanks to the wonderful time yesterday, the great weather, banana happiness and the fact that I wasn’t wearing my school uniform. Instead, I wore jean shorts and the Taiwan flag shirt I bought a while ago. Yesterday was Taiwan’s Independence Day (I had a feeling it was ;P) so there was no school. This Thursday and Friday there is a big exam that the high school students have to take. At least in Tatung, the exchange students are not required to come on both days since we don’t have to take the exam. Thank the Lord for that! But because of no high school, I don’t have to wear my uniform to University. Now know that I love my uniform, but it can get a tad hot when they are long semi-thick pants. So shorts gave me a delightful cooling effect. ^_^

Something else about my appearance…there are still traces of blue around my eyes. THIS STUFF WILL NOT COME OFF! WHYYYYYY?! It’s like it’s permanent! I had a skirmish with it again today but to no avail. So as I type this Taffy, my eyes remain lined with stubborn blue outlining. I went by a store called “Cosmed” today looking for make-up remover but I came across a problem. I didn’t know what it looked like or how to ask in Chinese for it or even how to use the stuff. I guess that means my eyes will forever have blue around them. XD

A successful University class ended, releasing us to lunch, which two peeps and I ate on campus. Like Monday, I craved the healthiest lunch possible. So a trip to the buffet was in order with only vegetables, tofu and egg. This time I avoided the not so yummy fish and loaded up on cabbage and tofu. Funny enough, I ended up paying the exact same today as Monday. Remember, the price here is determined by weight. That can only mean I have a super power of controlling the mass of my lunch in order to pay the same amount. Who knew?! XD

Although there was no school today, the exchange students had a field trip with Redy in the second half of the day. I really had no idea what we were doing so I just happily bounced along blindly. But my cheerfulness was slightly dampened because I found out we were supposed to wear our school uniform since it technically was a school outing. Truly, I had no idea and felt really bad for not knowing but at least I wasn’t the only one since Eric didn’t know either. Next time…next time for sure I WILL wear it. I am determined! >:D

Walking to our event, Redy told us that it was a museum of moon cakes and we would be baking some ourselves. HOLY CRAP YESSSSSSSS!!! I LOVE BAKING!!! I MISSED IT!!! Needless to say I was very overjoyed. :P

Before entering the building, we engaged in a traditional opening ceremony of banging on a drum three times, followed immediately by one strike of a gong. We each took our turn in pairs with hitting the instruments. Mine was the drum, which was enthusiastically played by the American. ;) It was a bunch of fun for everyone, bringing smiles and laughs all around!

Inside the building, we were first brought to the room where the baking would commence. LOVE! Though we didn’t end up making moon cakes, we made the famous pineapple cakes. Funny enough, the cake isn’t actually pineapple…but it’s called pineapple cake…what?! XD

There were two groups at the “Kuo Yuan Ye Culture Museum of Cake and Pastry” one being us from Tatung High School and the other being University students we didn’t know. Each group worked out separate tables that were provided with our necessary ingredients and tools for BAKING! Twas a very simple recipe of butter, sugar, flour mixture, egg and chewy candy ball for the inside of the cake.


The exchange students were rearing to go, anticipating the moment when we could try our masterpieces. During the lesson from the “lao shi” (teacher) I actually learned a new technique I previously didn’t know about. Thanks to a wonderful mixer back in Texas, I was a bit spoiled with never needing to mix cake batter by hand. Today though, it was indeed required to use a spatula to mix the ingredients. What I learned was instead of stirring with the spatula, use it to squish and spread around the dough in the bowl. This temporarily thins out the batter in order to better mix everything together effectively. Worked like a charm!

After combining the baking components, we rolled the dough into a log and cut it into ten pieces. Then we took each individual piece, squashed it flat, place the chewy candy in the middle, folded it in and pressed the treat inside a small rectangular cookie cutter/baker/whatever. XD Using the tool meant for scrapping batter off the spatula, we each made our mark on the cakes to distinguish whose from whose as well as giving it a personal touch. For mine, I chose to imprint an “A” in the middle and four corner lines as decoration. Originally I wanted to do a cross but the exchange from Mexico already took the mark. I think the “A” is sufficient enough as it stands for “Andrea.” Don’t you dare say I should’ve done my Chinese name! There’s no way I could’ve written the Chinese characters in such a small area with such a large, clumsy tool! XD The “A” is beautiful enough to compensate, no?

Once we each finished our ten pineapple cakes, the tour guide led us to a museum display upstairs while the cakes were baking in the oven. The first part of the exhibition was a corner that related to traditions performed with babies. There were things like cakes given to the family (red from the father’s side, pink from the mother’s side) and a slobber-stopping necklace. Hold on, let me explain the necklace because you’re probably as confused as I was. XD A friend of the family strings together some cookies into a necklace and has the baby wear it. By doing something like rubbing one of the cookies on the baby’s chin, it is symbolizing that the baby will stop drooling and begin to grow up. Does it actually make them stop slobbering? Not really. It’s just for representation. ;)

From what I could translate, the babies also partake in an activity that many parents support. In front of child is placed a basket of various things from money to a violin. Whatever the baby picks up first will symbolize how they will grow up. So of course, choosing money will mean wealth in their later years and the instrument will represent becoming a musician. Mimicking that concept, there was a gizzy on the wall that allowed us to experience this ceremony. Each person went up and pushed a red button that triggered a mechanical spinning light that would land on our fortune. Don’t you just love this chica’s displeased expression at getting a destiny with technology? She’s not amused! XD

Between the two groups, there were fortunes like computers technician, doctor, banker, teacher, musician, mathematician and being gluttonous. Twelve possibilities total, I only for sure knew a few based on the pictures. So I took a close up picture for reference in order to research the Chinese characters later. ;)

Huh? You’re wondering what fortune I got? Really? Oh, well then I’ll tell you. Viewing the wheel beforehand, I set my heart on the green section, the musician fate. I kept thinking, “I want that one! I want that one! Give me that one please! Pleeeeeease!” When my turn came about, I excitedly hopped up and pushed the red button. I’ll admit that my heart stopped for a moment…waiting…waiting…light still spinning around…then BAM! My foot stomped on the ground and my hands flew straight up in clenched fists. I GOT THE MUSICIAN DESTINY! BOOMSHAKALA! WIN FOR ANDREA! A triumphant ditty dance was executed afterwards. XD If you can’t tell, getting the musician made me way too ecstatic. ;)

Moving on in the exhibition, my eye was instantly captured by some beautiful hats on display. I had to break away from the tour for just three seconds in order to take a picture of their splendor. Both were traditional headdresses worn at weddings, the left one for the female and the right one for the male.  I absolutely adored the lovely tassels dangling down from the female’s hat. “Hen piao liang!” (Very pretty)

Just as a warning, the rest of the museum was relating to many aspects included in a traditional Chinese wedding. This is because the company has been around for over one hundred years and one of its functions is to make Chinese wedding pastry boxes.

Here we have a basket of chickens and some other round basket that I know not of its name. If you marry someone far away, they say the chickens will bring you back home. Not sure why but it’s definitely something I would like to research more into. The other thing is to be placed under the couple’s bed to bring fertility, if I’m correct. Both are very interesting and have captured my curiosity in learning more about traditional Chinese weddings.

A Chinese bride and groom, holding the wedding ribbon of union. In the middle, the table is topped with fruit that bring luck, fertility, etc. to the newly wed couple. Not all of it is included but the bottom of the picture has the gifts that would be given to the bride and groom.

Another intriguing tradition is for the bride to eat two little balls (either a pastry or fruit I think). The balls represent the groom’s eyes so by eating them the man will only look at his wife. Kinda sweet, kinda morbid but 100% fascinating!

Next up was another fortune telling device. It was two pieces of crescent shaped wood, almost like a wooden banana was sliced in half. You begin with holding the parts together, forming the wooden banana, between your hands as if praying. Actually, you are praying when holding the pieces together. What happens is you pray to the Chinese Gods a wish you have and then release the fortune telling banana halves onto the ground. If the pieces are both upward facing or downward facing, it means the Gods are laughing at you and your wish will not come true. Only if one piece is upward and the other downward, will your desire be granted. Desire and or question, I should say. It’s basically the equivalent of an ancient Magic 8-Ball.

The tour guide had a member from the University group give it a go. From the Chinese I know, the employee asked the guy if he had a “nu peng you” (girlfriend). I believe he said no since the tour guide had him try the wooden fortune telling banana (Come on, give me a break! I don’t know it’s actual name so work with me on this! XD) with the question of if he’ll get a girlfriend in Taiwan. The result…he will indeed get a girlfriend. This brought smiles and trifling laughs among the University group, Redy and I. The five other exchange students were somewhere else doing their own thing at that specific time so they didn’t know anything that was happening within the tour group.

After the tour guide picked up the wooden fortune telling banana, I was trying take a picture of her holding it. Instead, she singled me out and beckoned me to give the banana a try. Maybe I should say pepper instead of banana…I don’t know! You get the picture by now right? :P ANYWAY! I animatedly went up and started brainstorming wishes to get a fortune told to. Even though I picked one out, the lady in Chinese, told me to pray over the question of if I would get a boyfriend while in Taiwan. Does this topic remind you of yesterday’s post? XD Regardless, I happily asked the boyfriend question in my head and released the banana. Bounce…bounce…bounce… One half was up…. the other was…

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Exclamations filled the room and the people were bustling excitedly around. The tour guide pointed directly to the previous guy and I, bringing her pointed fingers close as if saying, “Y’all are together.” Roaring laughs emitted from the room and astounded expressions hugged everyone’s face. Before I knew it, I was being dragged to a clothing rack and getting dolled up in a traditional Chinese wedding gown. This whole time I was completely flabbergasted at what was happening and had thoroughly red cheeks. To finish off the outfit, my head was ornamented with the same stunning tasseled hat that I mentioned earlier. A little uncomfortable and requiring a bit of a balancing act, the headdress completed the ensemble. Not two seconds later was I gestured to grab ahold of a red ribbon next to the guy who also got robed up. In less than a minute and a half (literally!) from releasing the wooden fortune telling banana, I was already getting married.

That’s correct people. I am married at the young age of eighteen. Daddy, please don’t kill me! XD My wooden fortune telling banana pieces landed one up and one down, concluding I would get a boyfriend while in Taiwan. But I never actually had a boyfriend. I went from single to married with dating nowhere to be found! My husband and I were corralled to a red platform for wedding pictures. I don’t know if we were married at that point already but I became flustered and with panic asked, “Ni jiao shen me ming zi?!” (What is your name?!). To this he replied his Chinese name along with his other name “Jorgen” and I exchanged both my names in return. He then gladly thanked me for trading knowledge of each other’s names before getting married. Yeah, I at least wanted to know my husband’s name before our ‘official wedding picture.’


Don’t we make a cute, foreign couple? America and the Netherlands united in holy matrimony! Yes, my husband is from the Netherlands. ;)

Gathering each of our ‘families’ together for a group wedding picture, the tour guide lady told me to rest my head on my husband’s shoulder. At first I was like, “shen me?!” (What?!) because I was weary of the headdress. The last thing I wanted to do was stab my brand-new husband’s face and shoulder with the pointy, life-threatening part of the headdress. But with caution, I rested my head as best I could (a bit of a challenge) upon an open shoulder. And adorably, my husband tried to rest his head upon mine but had an obstacle of my pointy death hat. XD He still did a good job. In this particular picture, we were all told to do a thumbs-up. If you look closely, I am actually doing a thumbs-up but it’s hidden under the garment’s long sleeves.


A beautiful outfit indeed, I regretted to strip it off. Jokingly being a good wife, I helped my husband get out of his robes by untying a ribbon knot. After our little get-up, the other group members scurried over to try on some traditional Chinese outfits.

Two ladies from the University group that look stunning in the Chinese dresses:


There wasn’t any more wooden fortune telling banana attempts to ask the boyfriend/girlfriend question but people still tried on the garments. It was only my husband and I that got married. Everyone else just wished they were as lucky as us :P (fyi, I’m kidding XD)


The tour guide lady commented that here we have a husband, a wife and two princesses. XD

Once everyone had their fun, me still blushing up a storm at what just happened, we all headed back downstairs. To our surprise, the lights were dimmed and the tables were set with a charming display. Candles lined down the middle and each individual had their own exquisite presentation set in front of them. It included traditional Chinese-style tea, a jelly-like ice cream, two cookies and one moon cake. I do not know what the flower is or symbolizes nor can I read what the paper contains except for “bu” (no).

It was such a pleasant experience and a tasty one at that! I could have happily drank that tea and munched on the pastries for another hour in relaxation. The room even played gorgeous traditional Chinese music that was very inspirational.


But eventually the lights did have to turn on again when our pineapple cakes came out of the oven. We then spent the time properly packaging each separate cake. The finishing touch was to stamp the company’s symbol on the inside of the box lid and cover the closed box with a golden string hugging the box protectively. Viola! Our masterpieces were authentically complete! Since the packaging was for nine cakes and we made ten, you might be able to guess where the tenth one went. They quickly took a trip into people’s digestive system for taste testing. ;)

As that marked the end of our “Kuo Yuan Ye Culture Museum of Cake and Pastry” experience, everyone began to gather their things. Not wanting to leave without giving my husband my business card, I asked Redy for the Chinese word of ‘husband.’ Armed with the knowledge, I good-humoredly called out “Wo lao gong!” (My husband/my honey) With this I gave him my card and asked for a picture together in our modern clothing. He merrily agreed and cuteness resulted. Going along with the lasting marriage concept, he put his arm around me, which shocked me for a second. This just proves I’m turning Taiwanese because an act like that is way more meaningful than outside of Taiwan. But happily, I placed my hand on his shoulder/shoulder blade in return. You can just see the tips of my fingers poking out from behind him. Oh and those necklaces around our shoulders were our tickets to the museum. Just FYI. ;)

Both the University and Tatung high school group headed in the same direction for the MTR station. Do you what that means? It meant more time with “wo lao gong.” Being gestured to the front, the two of us lead the way that ended being a semi-lengthy walk. But truthfully, neither of us noticed because we were too immersed in talking to each other. I didn’t even feel the aching pain in my lower back right leg during our walk! Amazing! But we got to know a bit more about each other than just our name and home country. He was a student in Taiwan for learning Chinese, having already spent two years in his country learning. Regardless to say, his Chinese was extremely good with mine severely lacking. Even so, he was really gracious about it and talked with me in Chinese, helping me to comprehend what he said. With that being said, he does know English and could communicate to me easily if needed. Though we both preferred speaking in Chinese as much as possible. Things like ‘what’s your age’ and asking about our schools in Taiwan. A bit of both those subjects, he is twenty years old and goes to a University that is a brisk walk from mine (by the same MTR station).

As I mentioned before, we were so wrapped up in talking to each other that little did we know, we were speeding down the path. When arriving at the crosswalk to the MTR station, we turned back to find our friends left in the dust pretty baldly. I’m not sure on distance but I would say the two of use walked twice or thrice as fast as the others. So pair that with a three-five minute walk/bolt we had, it took significantly longer for everyone else to catch up. To wait for them, the gentleman guided us to a couple of posts on which to have a seat. Should I mention that from the time we were signaled to take the lead, he kindly offered his arm up chivalrously which I graciously took? And the entire walk was arm-in-arm? ;P But trust me, all these endearing acts were in good humor and not us madly falling in love. I need to clarify this in case my American parents get the wrong idea and send me not-too-happy e-mail. XD

“Wo lao gong” and I bid farewell and parted ways. Thinking back on the fact I got married without a choice still made me laugh and redden. Remember yesterday and how the lady said I should get a boyfriend in Taiwan to show me around? Well, it’s not a boyfriend but would a husband do? XD

With Redy and two other exchange students (German & French), we went to Shilin night market a couple of MTR station away. They immediately began walking to get some food the German girl, Rike (prounounced Ree-ke), wanted to eat. The four of us walked waaaaaaay in the back of the night market to an area I’ve never been to before from the previous two times I went to Shilin night market. We just kept going further and further back until making a U-turn into a bustling alley of food stands and people. I just followed and enjoyed the conversations we were having.

But then something completely miraculous happened that still blows my mind. We spotted some friends of ours in the night market alley. Remember, Taipei is extremely large and has maaaaaaaany, many, many people which makes it hard to accidently come across people you know. But tonight we actually did recognize some people we knew. Seeing the long blond hair from the back, I rushed unbelievingly to the group and greeted “Wo lao gong, ni hao!”

Yep. That’s right. I found my husband! How in the world did that happen?! XD Neither group knew of each other’s intentions of going to Shilin Night Market, yet we met up some how completely by accident. And this is a really big night market yet we…they…meet…Shilin… *mind explodes from disbelief *

A kind invitation for us to join up with the University group was extended. Excitedly, I ask Redy, Rike and Camille if they wanted to do so. Unfortunately each one had to leave soon for their individual plans. Not wanting to leave the night market yet and simultaneously desiring to mingle with the University group, I asked Redy permission to join the other group. She granted me the opportunity and I said my goodbyes to everyone while saying my hellos to new people.

I should note, I did think my decision through that it would be safe to join this group and not just rush in on a whim. They were good, friendly people that I could hang safely with. Part of my exchange is to meet as many people as possible and to learn Chinese from them, which I knew I indeed would. Plus Redy would have not given me permission if she deemed it dangerous. Is that established? Yes? Ok, good! Onto my honeymoon, if you will! ;P

The University group was comprised of exchange students, not Rotary but educational exchange for learning Chinese and their “lao shi” (teacher). They of course spoke in all Chinese which I tried my best to follow along with when they were discussing the night’s plans. Jorgen (I hope I spelled his name correctly) helped me translate and reported that we would temporarily separate for a short while but meet back up for dinner. So I just stuck with him with the group spilt.

The two of us walked to a nearby park and found a bench to sit and chat on, getting to know each other better while also having some Chinese tutoring. I’ll let you guess who was the tutor and who was the noob. XD Really only wanting to speak in Chinese, my part of the conversation had surface level contents but if needed I could go into English for a short time. I really didn’t want to speak English but had to at some points. Nuts.

Not long after, we headed back to the meeting place for dinner. Surprisingly going underground, there lay a humming part of the night market I’d never seen before. I thought the night market was only above ground but was happily amazed to find even more life and food within the area. Settling at a small open shop, the teacher graciously treated us to dinner. An extremely kind act for sure! The food I ordered was “chou dou fu” (Stinky tofu) wanting to try it a second time. I was shocked to see that part of the insides were scooped out and replaced with a liquid and veggies. Woah! That’s cool! The result was being absolutely delicious! I made sure to eat a breath mint afterwards to not get stinky tofu breath. ;)

Dessert was had at a place I’ve been taken to once before for shaved ice. Don’t worry, it was a clean place and gained my trust in having clean water. The picture here has greenish, yellowish ice because that was the flavoring ordered. Something like Japanese green tea with red bean or something like that. Twas yummy!

Our little group plus a Japanese exchange student whom was taking the picture:


Afterwards, the time was slipping deeper into the night and we all had to go home. On the MTR ride I was able to learn more about the girls of group rather than just a particular male. A couple were Korean that first spoke to me in Chinese (which I liked) and later wanted to try speaking in English. One needed some slight encouragement to try. She was so cute :P Her and Jorgen sweetly walked me home even though their dorm campus was at another station. Thanking them as sincerely as possible for the wonderful time and help today, I bid farewell a second time in the same day and headed to my house.

Think back for a second. Not only did I score the wanted musician fortune, get my hilarious wooden banana fortune, but also phenomenally walked into the University group when it was against all odds. Those were all indeed blessings! Thanks to those blessings, I was able to meet some terrific, pleasant new people but also I was appreciatively taught some Chinese. This is how a Rotary exchange should be, meeting new people, learning, experiencing and living the culture. I am very grateful for such a delightful day between pineapple cakes, marriage and night market. Andrea is in bliss. ^_^ Now if you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll have one of my scrumptious creations. Peace out!

P.S. I expect wedding gifts from all of you. A horse, Tennessee Walker breed, will suffice or a bombardment of cooking and baking tools. A wife has to prepare food for her family, no? Or how about a house in the mountains? Since y'all missed the wedding ceremony, I await a prompt gift delivery. Please send them to 714 Happy Fun Land Court, Above the Clouds, Narnia. Zip Code: 12345.

P.S.S. I'm sorry. I'm just having too much fun with this :P But seriously, feel free to get me a horse XD

1 comment:

  1. congratulations on your marriage! Although, poor Ryeowook and Leeteuk will be very upset to hear you're unavailable xD and meanwhile, I am still hopelessly single~

    ReplyDelete