Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Chinese Tearjerker Movie


Saturday, September 29, 2012

Ta daaaaaaaaah! Andrea is slowly warping into a local! Not really…but I would like to think so :P Before a scheduled event at 1:45, I chose to get there early in order to explore. The particular station was called “Liuzhangli,” one I’ve never been to before. So it was totally new for me and I had no idea what was around the area. Arriving there at roughly 9:30, off I went into the unknown, searching for a café.

Walking about five minutes left of the MTR station I didn’t find any café, much less the prominent ones I’ve seen but haven’t tried like “Mr. Brown Coffee,” “Dante Coffee” and “Ikari Coffee.” But soon I hit a highway that prevented me from walking any further. I then decided to cross the street, walk back to the station on the opposite side and try the other direction of the station. BAM! Right as I crossed the street, my eyes fell upon a small but quaint looking food place. Some people who crossed the street with me headed directly there so I took that as a good sign.

This place crowned the title “My Warm Day” with a brunch menu and to my great pleasure, free Wi-Fi. Score! Roughly from 9:45-1:35 I enjoyed the coziness of the restaurant which did indeed make me feel like it was ‘my warm day.’ At first I couldn’t figure out how to access the internet because it was password protected. Even with the language barrier, I successfully worked with a nice employee to solve out that the password for “My Warm Day’s” server was ‘mywarmday.’ Bwahahahaha! Go figure! Who knew it would be so simple? :P

For my breakfast/brunch, I ordered a combo of a beef cheese burger, fries and iced tea. Mmmmmm, the burger reminded me of America. Not only was the beef and cheese similar but it also had the traditional American, lettuce, tomatoes, sauce, etc. It even had sesame seeds on the bun! AMERICA! >:D The fries…not so much American tasting, but still good nonetheless. I have to laugh at the fact that not too long ago (a year or two) I didn’t like iced tea at all. Now look at me, drinking like a pro! I think it’s because I’ve had iced tea many times in Taiwan since it’s so common and therefore have developed a liking to its taste. Tis a good thing indeed! What I’m working on now is developing taste buds for iced coffee. I really enjoyed last Sunday’s iced coffee as “Is Coffee” but I think that had more cream and sugar in it than others I’ve had. When I had iced coffee today at the “My Warm Day” at first I didn’t really like it. But after setting it down for awhile and coming back to it, I was increasingly liking it bit by bit. If I make going to cafes a common occurrence then I’m sure I’ll get the taste buds for iced coffee as well. Though it would be better not to have too much coffee exposure…only until I can read Chinese menus better! ;D

SO! After spending a lengthy amount of time at “My Warm Day,” I continued merrily on to the previously scheduled event. This event was through Roteract (different but similar to Interact and Rotary) as we went to see a free movie with free snacks! Ahem, snacks are equal to sweets. One thing different with this movie theater and theaters back in America was that we were able to bring in food and drink. So I waltzed right in with a bottle of water and two bags of sweets that were given to me. Actually a man wanted to give me four of them but I had to decline since it was way too much. Good thing I did because I felt a bit sick after just two! XD Both vanilla flavor, one contained wafer-rolls and the other cream puffs. Yummy! YUMMY! Wo xi huan (I like!)

A good number of people showed up to view the movie. The theater had very comfortable seats (the bright pinkness made me smile). The first bottom three rows (and one more unseen row below) in the picture were students and teachers from Tatung High School that were in the Roteract club. Think you can guess who the three foreigners are? Go on, I dare ya. :P

The exchange students were warned ahead of time that the movie would be in Chinese, which presented an interesting challenge for us. I was prepared to attempt my best effort to guess the plot of the movie from the images on screen and limited vocabulary I have. Once the movie started, all the exchange students (three of us) let out a relieved sigh because the movie had both Chinese and English subtitles on the bottom. So luckily we didn’t have to work through the movie but could actually sit back and enjoyed the production.

Oh my gosh, guys. If you want to see this movie…prepare to cry. I held myself back from doing so but still a few teardrops escaped my control.  Right after the movie ended, the exchange student from Ecuador and I had a small hug-fest of sadness as we sobbingly clutched onto each other. Some people had bright red eyes after the film. Some had trouble speaking. The story was just so sad but somewhat had a happy ending…but it didn’t…but it did. Confusing! But so good! I even got to observe some southern Taiwanese culture in the process! Bonus!

In this picture we have the chica from Ecuador (Stephanie), the director of the film, the director’s wife (I think but am not sure) and muah. What they are holding in their hands are all the signatures of the people who attended the film viewing. I think mine is on the blue sheet…but it doesn’t really matter does it? :P

I got quite a surprise when all of a sudden I turn around and there, side by side, are standing the two kung-fu assistant teachers. Woah! Hi there guys! XD I was not expecting to see them! Not only are they in Roteract but their father helped a bit in making the film. Heck, even their mother was there and I was able to meet her as well. Yes, they are brothers. The two gentlemen I am referring to are the ones standing by each other, one in a red shirt and the other in a black shirt with red accents. Both are very friendly and helpful during martial arts club, allowing my foreigner self to actively participate in the activities. Another fun fact: the lady in the peach shirt to the far left is my civics teacher. Say “Ni hao” everyone! :D


This poster…I have to point out. It looks to be a fusion of Asian culture with steampunk. Looks pretty darn awesome! But can anyone tell me why the guy as an enormous red pimple on this forehead? XD At first I thought it was a demon’s horn but there is only one and it’s not centered. I have no idea! It sure caught my attention though! XD

Leaving the movie theater, peeps from Tatung went to “Shida” Night Market. The bus ride there nearly gave me a heart attack, as it was by far the roughest bus ride I’ve ever had…EVER! It went from ACCERLATE to BREAK so quickly and so jerkily! Boy was I glad to get off! Our little group was composed of dear Redy, two exchange students and four Taiwanese girls and one nan hai zi (boy).

As best as I can remember, from left to right, the English names of everyone are: Gaga, Stephanie, Anson, Andrea, Meggie, Kitty and Baby Face.

Oh noes! We have a chica hidden! But at least this one we can see our beloved Redy!

Our first stop was at a stand (look below) famous for “Bing Huo.” This treat is sweet bread with butter slapped inside. Yeah, I know I let myself go a bit but it was all for a good cause mind you. ;D Andrea got to taste some different culture’s food of the night market which doesn’t happen daily mind you. ;P One thing about night markets is that you are walking around getting exercise and burning calories. Yay for exercise! Makes me happy especially when having a great night out! :D


The main dinner was at something I guess is pronounced “lu wei.” There’s no word for it in English so that’s as best as I’ve got. The stand we visited is apparently very famous in this particular night market and therefore was a must for the exchange students to experience. What happens is you grab a pink basket and tongs, picking up anything that appeases you. This can vary from tofu, to vegetables, to noodles to pig ears to duck blood. The last two options didn’t sound very good did they? :P

In my basket, I picked up tofu, some kind of meat ball, a skewer of what I think was some sort of fish, a beloved type of clustered mushroom I’ve come to love and a type of mocha. Really, I didn’t know what I picked up except for the tofu and mushrooms. That’s the fun part. Discovering with your taste buds. So then the employees will boil your food and afterwards add flavoring to the plate. For my dish, I chose a low level of spice. To my surprise, they seemed to have doubled the contents I originally put in the basket. Twas a little too big for me but I appreciated the chance to try the chosen foods twice.

All the finished ingredients were quite tasty and intriguing to the taste buds. Redy had me try some mystery foods from her plate. As I chewed the food, I noticed all the students looking at me in anticipation. You can guess what that meant. I was unknowingly eating a food that could be considered nasty. It indeed ended up being a bit of pig’s ear and duck’s blood. The pig’s ear was not something I was fond of, having a weird crunchy but soft texture all in one. The duck’s blood just downright reminded me of a slimy texture of liver. Neither tasted bad, but not something I would go crazy for just yet. If I had to choose one over the other, I would go for duck’s blood.

The stand where we got our food didn’t have any tables or chairs to sit down. As a result, the customers go into the shop nearby to sit and eat but must order a drink since it was a different shop and wouldn’t allow me in unless they ordered something from them. Makes sense, but seems like a sneaky coordination from both places to get money. Regardless, it worked! I got a small bubble tea while some others got tea that I swear looked like beer!

I learned something today…Taiwanese teenagers like to learn foreign bad words…a lot. XD The people we were with kept asking Stephanie for curse words or bad names in Spanish and French.  Not particularly fond of some words, I tried to ease the conversation with the not bad word (but not polite one) of “Ba-donk-a-donk.” Now Andrea doesn’t use this phrase but it was better to hear it rather than “a**hole” from the students. This is all in good humor, mind you. The Taiwanese students are just curious.

The next stop was a Japanese candy store with an authentic Japanese owner who spoke some Japanese intermingled with Chinese. I didn’t understand most of the candy but anyone who knows some Japanese candy will at least recognize Pocky, which there was indeed some. One little package of candy included three small balls, one being super SUPER sour. The fun in that is, you have no idea which one will be the sour and which one will be sweet. So commenced the game! Stephanie, Redy and Gaga each took one ball and waited for the results. After several seconds of chewing, it was revealed that Gaga was the victim as her face began to pucker up intensely. XD I think the Japanese shop owner took great pleasure when I asked Gaga jokingly “Genki des ka?” (“How you ok?” in Japanese). Let it be known that that was my first time talking Japanese in front of an authentic Japanese person in Asia. Yay! It makes me happy for some strange reason. :P

In search of some rings, I ducked into a jewelry shop. The only rings I find so far are the really cheap, adjustable ones that will probably turn my finger green from the fake metal. I prefer the stainless steel solid rings but haven’t found such ones in Taiwan yet. Instead, my eyes feel upon a necklace that I found myself continually returning to throughout my browsing of the shop. After the third or fourth time, I decided to just purchase it for a mere $100NT ($3.33US). The pendant is of two dangling silver stars, each half studded with shining gems. They just captured my heart and I thought it good to have a second casual necklace to wear on nicer occasions that goes with most any clothing.

The other stores we visited were several clothing stores, and to my delight, found some clothing that could have potentially fitted a non-stick-figure-American that I liked. Booya! One other store that I bounced into reeked of America. Literally…it smelled of America. The shop was dedicated to perfumes, lotions, hand sanitizers, body gel, etc. Guess from which companies. Bath & Body Works and Victoria’s Secret. Hey there guys! :D I was so happy because I knew the lotion and perfume I brought wasn’t going to be enough to last me a year and I could restock. Much to my dismay, they had all sorts of scents…except for the ones I like most. NOOOOOO! They even had Candy Apple! CANDY APPLE PEOPLE! The winter seasonal amazingness from Bath & Body Works but only in body gel! Noooo! Wo yao (I want) candy apple lotion or perfume! * sigh * Oh well. It was fun just seeing a probably illegal store with American products. :P (That’s why there are no pictures because they probably wouldn’t want me taking any)

And so ended a wonderful, fun day that made me feel rejuvenated. It was all thanks to Redy for inviting me to the Roteract movie event and the trip to the night market. Wo ai ta! (I love her!) Seriously guys, she’s fantastic and I appreciate her immensely. She is so getting a huge thank-you gift for all her efforts! ;D

That’s it for this Taffy! Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment