Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Holla for Holidays!

Friday October 12, 2012

Holiday today! Holla! :D Many exchange students were not required to go to school today because the Taiwanese students were still testing with the big exam. So I got the day off and was able to spend it however I pleased. That was cool but I much preferred to use the time doing events like the past two days. Interacting with people, eating together, making new friends…getting married. XD

With nothing scheduled, I slept in until 8:50AM, which was oh so lovely. The full eventful past two days left me pretty exhausted and in need of some rest. So waking up three hours later than I usually do, the day had a good start. ;)

My host family set out the breakfast I’ve been getting this week again of a milk box and steamed bun. This time it was a 100% authentic Chinese steamed bun. In the past I’ve been given a bun with some traces of butter in the dough, which isn’t the traditional version. The traditional way is totally free of anything extra other than the dough by itself.

On the way to the library by my house, I picked up a package of papaya from 7-Eleven to get some yummy fruit nutrition. But…but…I wanted a banana…or pineapple. Much to my disappointment, the 7-Eleven I went to didn’t have either. The papaya was good, don’t get me wrong, it’s just when you have a craving…you have a craving. XD

I give you, my beloved library! Thanks to this wonderful building, I am able to do homework requiring Internet, answer e-mails and post my Taffy blogs. I wish I could go more often because currently I only do absolutely necessary things when at the library for time constricting reasons. Sometime I would like to just sit down, relax and care-freely surf the Web for things like Chinese music or culture research. Traditional Chinese weddings are a personal must for me to investigate. Yesterday’s exhibition was just too intriguing. Rituals like eating symbolic husband’s eyes and the chicken bringing home the far away spouse are fascinating to me! I want to know more! :D * cough * That’s why I’m here on an exchange * cough *

Becoming an overly ripe time of 2:30, I decided it was time to leave my sanctuary and grab some lunch. Or rather some linner? Dunch? I’ve always preferred using ‘linner.’ :P For the past week I’ve had my eye on a café less than 30 seconds away from my house. Yeah, it’s that close. XD Located in a side street, the place championed the name ‘Corner Café.’ I’ve grown to love anything with ‘Café’ in its name in hopes of good food, drink and Wi-Fi. A sign outside of the door had a Wi-Fi symbol on it, which demanded me to try out the place at least once.


A quaint, semi-modern looking restaurant, it was quite inviting to step inside. Not knowing how this café operated, I walked to the back of the building to ask/mime the desire of a menu. A face palm moment was in order because in this café the employees will sit you down and give you a cute little menu book. My foreign self just sauntered to the back of the place because there were no waitresses waiting at the front. From what I can conclude, you wait at the door until one waitress comes to serve you. You can’t blame me for not knowing because there weren’t any podium stands or anything like hostesses have in America. ;P

Overcoming the confusion, I was seated at a little table and handed a retro-looking menu book bound by string. The paper was an old-fashioned brown color with black font and little black drawings of the different type of foods on each page (pasta, salad, coffee, etc.) The menu was in Chinese and left me drawing complete blanks on what the food options were. I’ve only been able to study drinks and not café food due to a lack of a menu to dissect. But at least with the comprehension of a salad picture, I pointed to a random one with my “qing wen, yi ge zhe ge” (one of this please) technique.

The gentleman who took my order spoke to me in a little English to express the option of paying a little extra for two out of three choices of soup, coffee or dessert. Appreciating his effort and with a rumbling stomach, I gladly accepted the offer.

First was brought out the soup of unknown flavor. Taiwan has made me fall in love with soups, especially creamy ones. In America I didn’t eat out that much and didn’t try as many foods as I am in Taiwan. It took an Eastern country to find out I love a type of Western food. XD Now if there’s ever an opportunity to get soup, I willingly take it. A white smooth texture, the soup today was superb. I really can’t say what its flavor was but I believe there were a couple bits of onions and carrots hiding in the deliciousness. Cream of mushroom soup perhaps? I don’t know! What soups are entirely scrumptious and a white color?

The main course of salad turned out to be a mix of lettuce (duh), tomatoes, bell peppers, raisins and apple slices. Oh Andrea was happy! The dish just emitted rays of health. And look how there are a significant amount of vegetables instead of just being a bunch of lettuce and dressing. ‘Wo xi huan!’ (I like!)

Last but not least, dessert! I should note that I didn’t choose my soup or dessert so I had no idea what I was going to get. Actually, it probably was good that I didn’t have to choose because I wouldn’t have understood the Chinese characters. XD But I was brought a small 2.5 inch high glass filled with white pudding and topped with a small amount of sauce. My guess is it was a version of the traditional Chinese pudding. It’s not very sweet but still no doubt tasty.

Something I’ve noticed about some restaurants in Taipei. Some will have a rectangular basket on the table that contains eating utensils and napkins. That’s all good and dandy but the utensils keep being SO ENTIRELY HUGE that you can barely get your mouth around the spoon. The fork isn’t much better either. I would love to know why the silverware has to be so overly big. It makes me feel like a clumsy giant trying to sip soup with a shovel.

The final verdict, ‘Corner Café’ gets my approval on its food! All very tasty, healthier and reasonably priced, I would love to come back. And I just might! ;) What was a slight bummer was trying to get Wi-Fi. Asking the waitress in broken Chinese for the restaurant’s password for its network, the lady handed me a card and pointed to a telephone number. Whatever she said in Chinese to me totally went over my head as I didn’t understand a word of it. XD I’m guessing I need to call the number to ask about the Wi-Fi password. The problem is I can barely get by speaking Chinese with use of body language. Taking that asset away and replacing it with an unclear phone call…I’m not too wild about that. It’s not that I refuse to call, I just can’t with my currently small vocabulary. My knowledge doesn’t extend to technical Chinese talk just yet. :P One last thing about the café, during my stay they played the song “Bittersweet Symphony” which made me happy and gained my approval. But it wasn’t just once. They played it THRICE! What?! I was there for less than an hour! Three times in such a short time period? Wow, they must really like that song. XD

Departing from the quaint café, I went on an errand to find black pants. Several days ago, one of my classmates that is also in the martial arts club reminded me about a parade taking place this Saturday. Our kung-fu master invited us to this event that celebrates a type of Chinese people. I’m not sure but it might be for people that derive from main land China that moved to Taiwan. Anyway, I asked the guy if there was anything we needed to specifically wear. All he told me was to wear black pants. Now, I have black pants but they’re dress pants. I’m pretty sure he meant sweat or exercise pants to mimic what people wear while performing kung-fu. Unfortunately my school uniform pants don’t seem to fit the description, being a navy blue and having bright orange stripes running down the outside leg. So off I went to find some relatively inexpensive pants for Saturday.

The thought of finding some cheap sweatpants at Shilin night market crossed my mind yesterday. The problem with this is that night markets really only sell girly fashion shirts and dresses. I’m sure one shop probably had sweatpants but I’m not exactly familiar enough with night markets to be able to sniff them out. So instead I checked by a sports apparel store nearby my house. If you remember from my beginning days of Taiwan, this was the same store that had the conveyer-belt-hole-in-the-wall system and employees wearing BRIGHT orange vests. I only knew of the shoe selection from browsing exercise shoes but thought it wouldn’t hurt to see if they carried black pants.

Outside of the store were several little stands of workout clothing. Immediately I spotted some black sweat pants and proceeded to examine them. An employee assigned to the outside merchandise came by and served me. Proudly, I explained all the necessary information of the product I was looking for out in Chinese which the man understood. Yes! Even so, he spoke to me in a little English to make conversation, which I tried my best to answer him in as much Chinese as I knew.

Asking for the price of the pants I first spotted, he went in the store to find out. On a limited monthly allowance hoping for pants around $300NT, I quivered when told the pants cost $790NT. Not in my ballpark! The gentleman then helped me look for other options that were a bit less expensive. He ended up finding a thinner pair of long exercise pants that fit my expectations as close as I knew I was going to get. At the price of $390NT it was my best option. What made me tilt my head in confusion were pink words on the front left pocket spelling out “Uneveno” or “Uneuea.” I can’t really tell what it says nor know if that’s a good or bad thing. This I say because many people in Taipei own products from bags to glasses with the playboy bunny symbol. I’m 90% sure most of the people only get those products because it’s a cute looking bunny with a bow instead of knowing its true significance. So now I’m paranoid what kind of things I buy if I don’t know a symbol or character. XD

The next obstacle of purchasing the pants was determining the size. The gentleman brought out a size S and M. Being pretty darn sure I wasn’t a small in Asia, I held up the M around my waist. It seemed to be alright. Not too big but not too small, I decided on size M. Though it’s not like I could buy size L because they didn’t have it in stock. These pants were on sale, which meant there was a small amount of supply left. But happiness ensued when the man asked me if I wanted to try them on. They had a dressing room! HALLELUJAH! Then it was HALLELUJAH to the second power when the pants did indeed fit very nicely. Paying for them at the cash register, my mission was accomplished! I’m ready for tomorrow!

Exiting the store, I stopped by the gentleman who helped me and merrily reported the shopping success. Unrelated business conversation then took place with things from our names to why I’m in Taiwan. Elliot, is name, was quite friendly and enjoyable to talk to. Yay for human interaction! I just love that I unexpectedly found someone to meet and shortly chat with. In the past, I’ve only met people through school and events rather than on the street. Since Taipei is so busy, there’s not a lot of opportunity to mingle with the locals. But because Elliot didn’t have any customers to serve when working outside the sports store, he had the time to chat for a bit. A question of his that surprised me was ‘Do you have any friends in Taiwan?’ He was worried that I wasn’t being accepted, which is SO SWEET OF HIM TO BE CONCERNED WITH! This is a guy, I just met and have only known for single digit minutes and he already is so caring. That was when I fluttered about expressing in bad Mandarin that Taiwanese people are super friendly. He is a prime example!

Disappointed I didn’t bring my business cards with me, I had to bid him farewell without exchanging one. But heck, I know where he works. :P Actually… I need to go back for shoes once I squeeze in gym time into my schedule. Running barefoot on the treadmill is not a smart or pleasant thing. XD Allow me to clarify, the gym at my high school doesn’t allow street shoes inside. But you can wear exercise shoes if you bring them, hence the desire for purchasing some. I still have to work out if I can go to the gym regularly before making the shoe investment.

Accomplishing a wish I’ve had for the past month and a half, I bought a little mirror. The only mirrors I encounter are the ones in the bathrooms. The one at my house I never really use because I always sped in and out of the room, not wanting to be a nuisance to my host family in case they needed to use the restroom. Wednesday sealed the need for a compact mirror when I desired to see my dolled up reflection. Thursday and today extended the need because the curiosity of how much make-up still clung to my eyes was eating at my mind. Finding cheapest mirror at a general merchandise store, it ended up being roughly a 4x4” black square with a picture of a cat and the words “Make the first move.” Meh, I’m not in love with it especially since it is already scratched and dinged up but it does its job. I just couldn’t find a non-damaged mirror at the store and had even more trouble finding a simple mirror at hygiene stores I visited.

Regarding my current reflection, THERE STILL IS SOME DARN MAKE-UP AROUND MY EYES! THIS STUFF DOESN’T WANT TO COME OFF! WHYYYYYYY?! It’s only a bit above my eyes but nonetheless bugs me. XD Going by three hygiene stores today I did indeed find some make-up remover but all of the bottles were too big for my liking. I only needed a small one because I probably will rarely use it, if at all, apart from right now. Sure the make-up party was fun but it’s a little impractical for me to dive into the cosmetic world. Make-up is not allowed in school (a third of my Taiwan life) and I don’t even properly know about the stuff. Brands, techniques, uses, coloring, etc. Plus I’m still not interested in making it a daily thing. So for now, my eyes will continue to have some tints of blue tattooed above them. XD

Since it was such a lovely holiday, I decided to explore a bit around my house. I walked a bit of the park behind the library seeing people meditating, owners playing with their dogs and dudes duking some fierce basketball out. Surprisingly, I came across an extremely small night market on the park’s perimeter. Nearly all the stands were of food with one selling watches. It was strange because I had never seen the tents before when I previously walked past the street a couple times in the past. I didn’t buy anything but at least enjoyed the sights and exercise.

The last thing to report of my Friday was dinner. Remember how yesterday I ate stinky tofu? Weeeeeell that’s what I was given today. My host family bought some take out stinky tofu. Now I quite liked last night’s stinky tofu, which actually wasn’t that stinky. Tonight’s stinky tofu…whoooooooo-we! Man it did not smell like flowers for sure! It was cut up in bits floating in a soup with pig’s (or duck’s) blood and the tiny fish of ‘I’m watching you’ also included. On the side, we had a bit of plain steamed bun. Normally I could eat all of it without any problems but this bowl of death was pretty darn spicy. I had trouble eating it with a straight face because my mouth was lit on fire. Calling the fire brigade, a bite of steamed bun temporarily subsided the flames. But another bit of the food threw gasoline in the mix and created a small inferno. Ending the meal with a burning mouth and stinky tofu breath, I fled to brush my teeth and tongue. XD

Bonus stories!

Something I forgot to mention on Thursday’s Taffy was relating to me wearing my Taiwanese flag shirt. When walking through the night market with “wo lao gong” a local man came up to me clapping his hands, smiling and exclaiming “celebration!” It was cute and I could tell he liked my shirt but I didn’t know much else. So my husband translated what the man said to me. It was along the lines of the happiness of differentiating Taiwan from China. That and the previous day being Taiwan’s Independence Day. ;) I noticed that Independence Day in Taiwan is not as nearly as huge as it is in America. It’s quite a big deal in the USA as we can commemorate our freedom and have a patriotic party. In Taiwan I didn’t experience anything remotely similar to it apart from the government putting up Taiwanese flags on posts throughout the city. There’s your culture difference for the day. ;)

Last but not least, this paragraph is targeted to the younger part of my readers who know of the popular song “Call Me Maybe.” While eating at the ‘Corner Café’ I resorted to writing random bits of text, mostly poetry to relax with. All of a sudden, the inspiration to create a small parody of “Call Me Maybe” hit me. Here’s the result of the main melody:

~I just married you
And this is craaaaazy
But here’s my business card
So call me maybe~

I’ll let you figure out the meaning behind that parody. ;D

Aaaaaaaaand the Taffy is done! Byebye! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment