Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Kicked Out

Allllllrighty. Shall we get down to the nitty gritty Taffy? I have no idea why I said that but I felt like it. Sorry, blame my tiredness. I seem to not function properly on 6-7 hours of sleep which is totally weird.

This week's breakfasts have been just croissants and a cup of yogurt-milk. Desiring something a bit more substantial I finally tried out these triangle sandwiches I constantly see in the morning in various shop's displays. In my high school's cafeteria, not being able to read the Chinese, I pick the sandwich based on the visual contents. I chose a mid-priced sandwich with egg, corn, meat, and a combo of white and wheat bread. Duuuuuuuude. I want more of those. The sandwiches are not sold for lunch so maybe I'll purchase one in the morning and save it for later. It'll be healthier than just noodles or dumplings. I apologize for my lack of a picture because I ate it in my classroom during study period (it's allowed) so I didn't dare to take out my camera. I'm sure I could since I'm an exchange student but I follow the same rules as my classmates, so no technology during class.

One of the girls that took me to Shilin night market the first time, was an absolute sweetheart today. The previous day I asked where I could buy soy milk for breakfast at school. She told me that the school doesn't have soy milk but instead I would have to go to a breakfast shop for the beverage. That's when she brought me some herself this morning and allowed me to have my day's calcium. How thoughtful and gracious was it for her to do that? That's why I kept saying "Xiexie" between sips.

Woah there's a lot of food talk in this post because I'm skipping ahead to lunch. I had my midday meal with a past exchange student to none other than Texas! Whoop whoop! I mentioned her before if you remember. Anyway, we just stopped by the convenient store in the school cafeteria called "Hi-Life" which is quite similar to 7-Eleven. Here I picked up a steamed meat bun. Oh gosh how I love it's steaminess! And it's price with student discount! We talked about things here and there about Taiwan and Texas. Last week I gave her the Texas pin that I have for when I meet other exchange students. As a thank you, today she bestowed upon me a lovely keychain that is in the shape of Taiwan. Her father is a postman and gave her two of these keychains. Almost like a friendship necklace, she has one while I have the other. I tried my best to capture its beauty by if you can't tell, one side says "PostMall" and the other has a picture of what I believe is Taipei 101. There's some Chinese characters too but I'm not that level of literacy yet. :P

 After school I joined the chica from Germany for a much anticipated trip to the school gym only open to university students and special privileges for us foreign students. I've been waiting for this for well over two weeks. When I get there I am delivered a surprise. Do you know how Asian households require you take off your shoes? Yes? Now apply that to Asian gyms as well. That threw me off! It was sooooo weird to run on a treadmill with only socks! After seven minutes of lovely exercise, I get kicked out of the gym. Not joking. I actually got asked to leave. Why? Because I found out it's required to have a towel to be in the gym. What?! NO! Why destiny?! Why must you do this to me?!!! A lady I asked later said the towel rule was to prevent just anyone from entering the gym, requiring people to prepare before they come. So the American wearing a full blown work out outfit she prepared had to leave because she lacked a t-o-w-e-l. I will bring three towels next time if I need to, as long as Andrea gets her desired exercise.

So instead I helped the lady from yesterday's picture, who is also a teacher, grade some English sentences. Oh it was such fun reading the Engrish. It makes me uber happy that I can help the students, even if it's indirectly, with English. That and one can find a good laugh occasionally when coming across a sentence of complete and utter confusion. Too bad I can't remember a few of them but I assure you, I did a quadruple take on several of them. XD

One final note from yesterday because I completely forgot to talk about it. In military education we learned how to turn around/about face/whatever you call it. But at one point the instructor had a student ask me if I could sing my country's national anthem. Replying yes, I thought he was going to have me sing it in front of my class. I was hesitant at first with this thought but quickly warmed up to it and began to really anticipate my shining American moment. The instructor had a Taiwanese student go up and sing Taiwan's national anthem so at this point I was sure I would be asked to sing the "Star Spangled Banner." My excitement was slashed down as I was never told to go up and sing. Apparently the teacher was just making a point that the exchange students (Eric included) knew their national anthems but only four out of fifty Taiwanese students knew Taiwan's anthem. That's a cultural difference in that. Many, many Americans know the "Star Spangled Banner", demonstrating their patriotism. Contrasting, not many Taiwanese know their national anthem. Interesting but all this talk makes me want to do is sing USA's anthem. OOOOOOH say can you SEEEEEEEEE?!!!!

Before you go deaf, I shall end today's daily taffy. Until next time! Peace off! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment